BTF COUNCIL OF DELEGATES Q & A
STUDENT LEARNING OBJECTIVES
1. Can teachers be asked to stay after school to work on SLOs without being paid?
Answer: No. Nor can teachers be required to work after school or on weekends.
1. The principal does not ask for volunteers for duties – they are assigned at random. Is this correct?
Answer: Article X, S. states “Assignments in addition to the actual teaching of subject matter, (e.g. homeroom and study halls) will be filled, when possible, on a voluntary basis. In those circumstances where volunteers do not come forward, assignments will be filled on a yearly rotating basis. The District will make every effort to honor the request of a teacher who prefers to keep the same assignment on an annual basis.”
2. The aide is being pulled from a 12-1-1 class to cover other preps leaving teacher and students without required services. Is this allowed?
Answer: This is a violation of Federal and State Laws – Call BTF if this occurs.
3. Has the Union and District come to an agreement on EPO coaching documents? (School 6/BEST)
Answer: No. All such positions must be in compliance with our contract, If there are issues, call BTF
4. My Director (ALC) insists on holding building committee meetings at 3 pm on Monday or Wednesday. We are part-time and it is not when 3 building committee members work. (2 are 8:30-11:30, 1 is 12-3) The administrator is silent in paying us and insists we have 2 supervisors there. We have refused because we can’t but we are in need of a meeting.
Answer: This is a violation of the contract. Article VI, D. states “Building Committee – The principal of each school shall meet at least once a month with the Federation Building Committee at its request to discuss school operations and questions relating to the implementation of this Contract. These meetings shall be held at a time of the day mutually agreed upon…”
The only administrator is the Principal. If the Building Committee agrees, others can attend a particular meeting.
5. We have constant interruptions to the school day as a result of the P.A. system being used every 20 minutes (or less).
Answer: This should be brought up at Building Committee Meetings. If not resolved, it can be grieved citing Article XI, L. as has been done and won previously.
6. Principal “visits” an average of 3x per day to ask children if they know what they are supposed to be doing - EVERYDAY! Were they told to patrol? Every class, every day, seems a bit much.
Answer: No. This is a violation of the Professional Council Approved Teacher Evaluation Document. See BTF website btfny.org/BTF Form/APPR.
7. What should a teacher do when they are being harassed by an administrator and are getting physically ill as a result?
Answer: Call BTF
8. Who can give a teacher a prep?
Answer: This is usually done by an aide or assistant or may be provided when your class is being taught by another teacher. Call BTF with specifics.
9. What happens if the principal never agrees with your student growth goals? What if you cannot come to an agreement?
Answer: Call BTF. We will intercede.